Zane has almost two decades experience in the field of commercial litigation and has developed specific expertise in contract, financial services litigation, partnership and joint venture disputes. He also has particular interest in urgent interim relief, including injunctions and Anton Piller orders, and the fields of equity and restitution.
Zane is experienced in alternative dispute resolution processes (mediation and arbitration) and seeks to incorporate them into an overall dispute resolution strategy. He also has extensive experience of the litigation process itself and has appeared on numerous occasions before all forums in New Zealand including the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
Zane is recognised as a leading individual in dispute resolution by leading directory Chambers Global, and is also on the spotlight table for insurance contentious matters.
Areas of Practice
- Appeared with senior counsel for Maruha Corporation of Japan in significant commercial joint venture fraud proceedings in the High Court which resulted in a successful damages award in excess of NZ$6m
- Advised and represented lawyers, accountants and other professional organisations in relation to professional indemnity claims against them and their underwriters
- Acted for PricewaterhouseCoopers in bringing a number of claims for breach of directors duties and related litigation
- Represented a number of New Zealand's large trading banks, including Bank of New Zealand and ASB Bank Limited, in major litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal
- Managed and conducted large-scale contract dispute litigation with prominent Queens Counsel
- Represented Credit Management Systems Inc in international copyright dispute proceedings
- Experienced in the area of urgent interim relief including interim injunctions, Mareva injunctions, preservation of property orders and Anton Piller orders
- Has acted on the Marsh solicitors professional indemnity panel for the last five years
- Worked with prominent Queens Counsel on a number of significant judicial review matters involving the Crown and professional bodies such as the New Zealand Law Society
- Acted on a number of large scale contract warranty claim proceedings in the High Court
- Experienced in advising commercial clients on dispute resolution and negotiation strategies
INSOL New Zealand
Leading individual - Asia Pacific Legal 500 - 2013/2014
Professional Activities and Experience
Senior Associate, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts, New Zealand (2002 to 2003)
Senior Associate, Buddle Findlay, New Zealand (1998 to 2002)
Associate, Martelli McKegg Wells and Cormack, New Zealand (1993 to 1998)
LLB (Hons) University of Auckland, 1992