David is a highly regarded commercial property lawyer who has advised on some of New Zealandâ€™s largest property transactions and developments. With over 20 years experience advising on property acquisitions, property developments and leasing. David has particular expertise in putting together complex acquisition agreements, project contracts, commercial subdivisions, including office, retail and industrial properties, shopping centres and industrial parks.
David has extensive public and private sector experience in due diligences, and the acquisition and disposal of land, retail premises and office complexes. He also has experience advising clients, including the Crown, in the health, military and energy sectors.
David represents major asset managers in their property portfolio requirements from acquisition, including Overseas Investment Office compliance, management and divestment. David reviews and coordinates property leases.
David also specialises in infrastructure projects, with experience in both New Zealand and the United Kingdom and a focus on Public Private Partnerships (PPP).
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Property Management
- Advising Auckland Regional Transport Network on its commissioning and long-term management arrangements for the Britomart Transport Centre, Auckland's regional rail and bus passenger terminal
- Acting for a bid consortium, led by a major investment bank, on the proposed Weiti toll road at Whangaparaoa New Zealand
- Acting for an Australian listed unit trust on the proposed acquisition of prime CBD properties in Auckland and Wellington
- Acting for a major New Zealand portfolio manager on all aspects of the management of directly held property portfolio
- Advising an international chemical company on a divestment programme for contaminated sites, involving site remediation processes, disclosure of the site history and retained responsibility for ongoing monitoring and remedial works, whilst also facilitating further development of the sites
Professional Activities and Experience
Prior to joining Minter Ellison Rudd Watts, David was a senior associate at another New Zealand law firm. He spent three years prior to this working as a solicitor at Dibb Lupton Alsop in London.
LLB University of Otago, 1991
BCom University of Otago, 1990