Andrew is a general commercial property and construction legal expert with particular emphasis on infrastructure, major projects, PPP, leasing and large scale developments, and local government.
Andrew advises both private sector and public sector clients on all aspects of commercial property. He advises the construction industry on procurement, consultancy and construction arrangements in New Zealand, and acts for a number of Government and Local Government entities in respect of property, development and leasing matters.
Experienced at contract preparation and negotiation, Andrew advises clients on acquisitions and divestments; property due diligence, leasing, large scale developments and subdivisions, joint venture development arrangements, public works and advising overseas companies investing in New Zealand property. Andrew has considerable experience acting for offshore investors who need consent under the Overseas Investment Act for acquisitions of interests in “sensitive land”.
Some of Andrew’s clients include Ministry for the Environment, Environmental Protection Authority, Auckland Council, Department of Corrections, several District Health Boards and Auckland Council Properties Limited.
Andrew has been recognised as a key individual in the “Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide” and Asia Pacific 500 for his advice on commercial property and construction matters. He was a member of the 5 person Technical Advisors Panel advising the NZ Government on its recent review of the Overseas Investment Act and foreign investment regime, and brings considerable experience to client applications for Overseas Investment Office approvals.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Law
- Major projects/PPPs
- Property Law
- Advising AUT/Millenium Institute on the expansion and development of the high performance athletics centre
- Advising the Department of Corrections (Prisons) on urgent upgrade works to the Hastings operational correctional facility, including preparation and negotiation of bespoke cost reimbursement contracts
- Advising/acting for the receivers of the Melview Kawarau Falls $1 billion development on existing and required contractual arrangements with contractors, consultants and project managers
- Acting for Housing New Zealand Corporation on public/private development agreements between the Corporation and private sector developers for the development of two greenfield integrated residential developments
- Acting for TomorrowÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Manukau Properties Limited (a Manukau City council-controlled organisation) in relation to the public/private development agreement for the $1 billion greenfield development of a new town centre at Flat Bush
- Advising Southern Cross Hospitals Limited in respect of various property acquisitions and standard construction contract arrangements
- Acting for DNZ Property Group in respect of design build lease development of commercial offices and warehouse facilities
- Acting for Diversified Property Funds in respect of construction and consultancy arrangements for the development of the Remarkables Park Town Centre
- Acting for Bedford Estates in respect of certain New Zealand operations
- Advising Synlait Limited on property-related Overseas Investment Act matters
- Advising Retirement Villages Group, a wholesale fund established by Macquarie Capital and FKP Limited, which owns 82% of Metlifecare Limited, on the property and overseas investment requirements of its restructure and capital raising
- Acting for Retirement Villages New Zealand Limited, the majority shareholder in Metlifecare Limited, on the overseas investment requirements of its acquisition of further shares in Metlifecare
- Acting for Auckland Regional Council on its acquisition of Atiu Creek Farm Regional Park
- Acting for Auckland City Council to peer review a proposed development agreement relating to the Orakei Peninsula, Auckland
- Acting for Customhouse Ventures Limited in respect of its acquisition of the Maritime Towers building in Wellington
- Acting for NZ Reit Limited in respect of its acquisition of a $130 million commercial property portfolio
- Advising Hirequip Group on the property and overseas investment aspects of its acquisition of a strategic stake in The Hire Company Limited, a hire company specialising in hiring heavy trucks and excavators to the construction industry
- Acting for Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Limited in relation to its development of its East Tamaki campus
Member, Property Council of New Zealand
Member, Technical Advisors Panel advising the NZ Government on the review of the Overseas Investment Act 2005 and foreign investment regime
Professional Activities and Experience
Partner, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts, Auckland (2007 - current)
Senior Associate, Another major New Zealand law firm (1999 - 2007), Senior Solicitor until 2003
Revenue Services Manager, Waitakere City Council, New Zealand (1997 - 1999)
Solicitor, Corporate Services, Waitakere City Council, New Zealand (1995 - 1997)
LLB University of Otago, 1994
LLB Otago, 1994