|Firm:|| ||Lawson Lundell LLP|
|Address:||Suite 1600 Cathedral Place|
925 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 3L2
|Fax:||+1 604 669 1620|
|Email:||Send an Email|
|Local Time:||Sat. 14:47|
Bonita provides a full range of advice and representation on corporate restructuring, turn-around management situations, bankruptcies, receiverships, foreclosure and other corporate related litigation to financial institutions, secured and unsecured creditors, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, and debtors. She has assisted debtors, creditors and lender groups in corporate reorganizations and proposals pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act. She has also acted on a number of cross-border insolvency matters.
Bonita has appeared as counsel for various parties in the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial Division).
Bonita also provides advice and representation to commercial landlords and their agents with respect to commercial lease disputes.
In July 2008, Bonita was featured in an article regarding insolvency professionals in BC Business.
Recognition and Ranking
* Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
Areas of Practice
- Financial Recovery
- Insolvency and Restructuring
* During 2003-2010 lead counsel for the court-appointed Receiver-Manager of the general partner of four limited partnerships that were involved in the ownership and development of several residential, multi-unit complexes situated in the United States. The realization of the assets has involved insolvency proceedings in British Columbia and the United States.
* During 2009-2010 counsel for approximately 500 unionized and non-unionized employees with respect to unpaid wage claims in representative proceedings against former directors of an insolvent entity.
* During 2009-2010 acted as lead counsel for purchaser of pulp mill during CCAA proceeding.
* In 2007-2008, in the matter of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and HSPP General Partner Ltd. and Howe Sound Pulp & Paper Limited Partnership - lead insolvency counsel for Howe Sound Paper Limited Partnership and HSPP General Partner Ltd in the restructuring of approximately US$238 million in unsecured debt that was completed pursuant to the provisions of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act.
* In 2008, in the matter of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and Tahera Diamond Corporation and Benachee Resources Inc. - lead counsel for one of the parties of a joint venture which is one of the largest unsecured creditors.
* In 2008, in the matter of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and Asset-Based Commercial Paper proceeding - provided advice to a regulatory body.
* In 2007-2008, in the matter of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and Pope & Talbot Ltd. - acted for a supplier. This is a cross-border restructuring matter involving proceedings in British Columbia and United States of America.
* In 2002-2008, in the matter of the bankruptcy of Tarsem Singh Gill- lead counsel for Deloitte & Touche Inc., the Trustee in Bankruptcy of Tarsem Singh Gill. This is a complex bankruptcy arising out of the misuse of funds by disbarred lawyer Martin Wirick. It is one of the largest fraud cases in British Columbia history. The bankruptcy involves over 350 properties, and approximately $65 million in potential claims.
* In 1999-2001, in the matter of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and United Used & Auto Truck Parts Ltd. - counsel for one of the senior secured creditors.
* In 1997-1998, in the matter of the Proposal of J.S. McMillan Fisheries Ltd. - acted as one of the counsel for the lead lender in a secured creditor syndicate.
* In 1990-1991, in the matter of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and Quintette Coal Ltd. - acted as one of the counsel for a significant stakeholder of Quintette Coal Ltd.
Bonita has written several articles and has been a speaker at several insolvency related meetings including the Annual General Meeting of the British Columbia branch of the Canadian Insolvency Practitioners' Association, Continuing Education Seminars, the Credit Grantors Association of British Columbia, and various meetings of Credit Unions in British Columbia.
British Columbia (1990)
Brandon University (B.A., 1983); University of Manitoba (LL.B., 1989).