William L. RobertsPartner
|Firm:|| ||Lawson Lundell LLP|
|Address:||Suite 1600 Cathedral Place|
925 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 3L2
|Fax:||+1 604 669 1620|
|Email:||Send an Email|
|Local Time:||Thu. 05:09|
Will practises in the areas of banking and insolvency law, with an emphasis on insolvency proceedings, banking litigation, creditors' remedies and fraud claims.
Will routinely represents creditors, debtors and purchasers in restructurings under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, and for financial institutions, Trustees in Bankruptcy and Receivers in connection with residential and commercial foreclosures, receiverships, realizations, bankruptcies, fraud claims and cheque negotiation issues.
Will also represents the British Columbia Securities Commission in relation various matters, including insolvency proceedings, the enforcement of administrative penalties and receiverships.
Prior to being called to the British Columbia bar, Will spent a term as a judicial law clerk to the British Columbia Supreme Court. He also dedicates a significant amount of time to representing pro bono clients in relation to fraud and debt claims.
Recognition and Ranking
* Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: CV Peer Review rated
Areas of Practice
- Insolvency and Restructuring
William has represented:
* The British Columbia Securities Commission in proceedings to trace and recover amounts in excess of $13 million relating to the Manna / Legacy fraud
* The Bank of Montreal, HSBC Bank Canada and Bancorp Financial Services Inc. in relation to various commercial work-outs and realization proceedings
* Various lenders and receivers in relation to realization proceedings involving hotels in Victoria and Squamish, B.C.
* Grant Thornton Limited, in its capacity as Monitor of Tagish Lake Gold Corp., in relation to proceedings under the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act
* The British Columbia Securities Commission in relation to the bankruptcy of Horizon FX Investments Limited Partnership
Meyers Norris Penny Limited, in its capacity as Trustee in Bankruptcy of the Estate of Michael Ernst Ruge, to trace and recover funds on behalf of investors
* Grant Thornton Limited, in its capacities as Interim Receiver and Monitor of Load Runner Logistics Ltd. and related entities
* The Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada in a number of matters relating to cheque negotiation and clearing issues under the Bills of Exchange Act and Canadian Payment Association Rules, including matters relating to cheque-kiting and forged bank drafts
* The Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada in relation to various fraud claims
* Campbell, Saunders Ltd., in its capacity as Trustee in Bankruptcy of the Estate of Ronald Stephen Barker, to trace and recover funds on behalf of defrauded investors
* The British Columbia Securities Commission in relation to the bankruptcy of Ian Gregory Thow
* The British Columbia Securities Commission in advancing claims against a $20 million fund held by a court-appointed Receiver
* The Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada in relation to various commercial and residential foreclosure matters
* The Bank of Montreal, HSBC Bank Canada and various Trustees in Bankruptcy in prosecuting claims under the Fraudulent Conveyance Act and Fraudulent Preference Act
* A pro bono client in successfully setting-aside a fraudulent mortgage transaction
* Canadian Bar Association, Member
British Columbia (1999)
Simon Fraser University (B.C. (Psyc.), 1992)
University of British Columbia (LL.B., 1998)