James E. SutcliffePartner
|Firm:|| ||Lawson Lundell LLP|
|Address:||Suite 1600 Cathedral Place|
925 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 3L2
|Email:||Send an Email|
|Local Time:||Thu. 00:39|
|Web site: ||Direct Page|
James is a partner in the Banking and Debt Financing Group and has extensive experience in all aspects of debt financing. James acts for Canadian banks and other lenders, U.S. and other foreign financial institutions and Canadian and U.S. law firms and corporations.
He has acted on many loan transactions involving real and personal property security, financings for debt and equity offerings, cross-border financings and restructurings.
Prior to joining, Lawson Lundell in 2007, James practised at Bull, Housser & Tupper LLP.
Recognition and Ranking
* Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for banking law
Joined the Law Firm in: 2007
Areas of Practice
- Debt Financing
- Project Financing
James has acted for:
* The purchaser of the assets of a major fitness centre group
* A company in respect of vender take back security on the acquisition of land in Burnaby
* A chartered bank in respect of a group of care home providers
* A syndicate of lenders on a financing of a Vancouver real estate development
* A syndicate of lenders in respect of a condominium development on Vancouver Island
* A lender to a partnership acquiring a company's shares
* A group of companies in respect of a major asset based loan facility
* Law Society of British Columbia, Guest Lecturer
* Banking Law Subsection, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch, past President
James has edited two chapters of the Professional Legal Training Course Commercial Law Practice Materials and edits a chapter of the Continuing Legal Education materials on real estate financing. James has written on the subject of secured transactions.
"Security for Vendor Take Back Financings Including Escrow Agreements", Legal Strategies in Business Acquisitions 2010 Strategies to Avoid Post Closing Problems, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (January 21, 2010), Speaker
British Columbia (1996)
University of Toronto (LL.B., 1990)