Paula RomeSenior Associate
|Address:||Witan Gate House|
500-600 Witan Gate West
Milton Keynes MK9 1SH
|Phone:||44 (0)118 965 8235|
|Fax:||+44 (0)3700 86 8301|
|Email:||Send an Email|
|Local Time:||Wed. 11:13|
|Web site: ||Direct Page|
Paula is an employment lawyer with over 20 years experience in advising and acting for clients from a wide range of sectors including education and public sector, IT, publishing, charity sector and the media.
Her key areas of interest include TUPE, corporate support and collective consultation issues, including trade union, works council and European Works Council advice. Paula has wide experience in tribunal advocacy handling unfair dismissal and discrimination issues including disability, equal pay and age discrimination issues.
Paula has conducted CAC advocacy in relation to trade union recognition and provision of information under collective agreements. Paula has successfully resolved a number of cases by means of Judicial Mediation saving clients considerable costs expenditure and time commitment.
Paula’s recent experience includes:
- tribunal advocacy on the employment status of ‘casual’ workers and agency workers and defending claims alleging race, sex, disability and maternity related discrimination claims;
- conducting employment corporate support for an extensive buy-and- build strategy for Enara Finance Limited, completing more than 30 acquisitions in two years;
- advising on the implications of a large TUPE service provision change exercise and the associated collective consultation and redundancy process;
- assisting client HR teams to devise strategies to handle large scale restructures and redundancies and assist in their implementation;
- conducting judicial mediations to settle cases with complex allegations including sex discrimination, unfair dismissal associative disability discrimination and maternity related discrimination;
- assisting three international clients in setting up and amending existing European Works Council Constitutions;
- dealing with equal pay claims following TUPE outsourcing of employees whose salaries are subject to a collective pay deal;
- Trade Union recognition applications and CAC determination;
- advising on the legitimacy of Trade Union action for an international IT Client.
Paula has considerable experience in developing and delivering training on employment law and human resource issues. Paula has designed and delivered training to all levels of management and HR teams. Paula is a frequent article writer and speaker at employment law conferences. She was a contributing author of Croner’s “Managing Equality and Diversity” and “Managing the Internationally Mobile Employee”.
Paula who is also a British Wheel of Yoga trained Yoga teacher, a qualified Neuro Linguistic Programming master practitioner and a qualified as a solicitor in 1993. She specialised as an employment solicitor from 1995 working in high profile employment teams including Eversheds, and Lewis Silkin before joining Shoosmiths in 2006.
Areas of Practice