|Address:||Witan Gate House|
500-600 Witan Gate West
Milton Keynes MK9 1SH
|Phone:||44 (0)118 965 8713|
|Fax:||+03700 86 8301|
|Email:||Send an Email|
|Local Time:||Mon. 00:03|
|Web site: ||Direct Page|
Tom Wilde is an Associate in the Corporate department specialising in tax law. Tom advises clients nationally and his work covers the following principal areas:
- Tax planning to enable companies, partnerships and individuals to carry out one-off transactions and run their businesses day-to-day in a tax-efficient manner. This includes advice on both corporate and property transactions, VAT and SDLT planning and on-going advice on mitigating corporation tax, income tax, capital gains tax, national insurance and the construction industry scheme.
- Tax efficient employee remuneration and termination packages including advice on all aspects of share schemes (EMI, CSOP and unapproved) and employee benefit trusts.
- Investment and exit tax structuring including advising investors, management teams and investee companies on EIS and VCT issues.
- Negotiating with HMRC on both contentious and non-contentious matters to obtain tax clearances, settle disputes and mitigate outstanding tax demands.
Recent matters that Tom has advised on include:
- advising a large corporate client on the purchase of an insurance company including drafting and negotiating tax warranties and covenant;
- setting up a number of EMI option schemes including for a UK-based technology firm and an American corporation and advising an American group on a phantom share option plan for one of its UK companies;
- obtaining a VAT clearance from HMRC thereby mitigating a large VAT liability;
- advising a charity on a tax efficient structure for purchasing and renovating a new building.
Having graduated from Downing College, Cambridge University with an MA in Law, Tom obtained a Distinction in his Legal Practice Course at Nottingham Law School. Tom trained at Linklaters and qualified as a solicitor into the tax department there in 2006, before joining Shoosmiths in 2007 and becoming an Associate in 2010. Tom is also a Chartered Tax Adviser, qualifying in 2009 and obtaining the Ian Walker Medal for the highest mark in the Awareness Paper.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Business
MA (Law) - Downing College, Cambridge University
Chartered Tax Adviser - Chartered Institute of Taxation