Tom is a partner in the tax department and heads up the firm’s enterprise investment scheme (EIS) and venture capital trusts (VCT) tax practice. Tom is one of the UK’s leading experts in this field and has extensive experience advising a wide range of investors and investee companies on structuring and implementing tax efficient investments, reorganisations and exits in compliance with the EIS and VCT regimes.
In addition, Tom has substantial experience of providing tax advice to companies and individuals on both one-off business transactions and on-going compliance. Tom regularly implements share option schemes including EMI options, employee shareholder shares and company share option plans, as well as negotiating with HMRC on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
His recent experience includes:
- advising a number of EIS and VCT investors including Octopus Investments and Oakfield Capital on the impact on their existing and proposed investments of the Government’s proposed changes to the EIS and VCT regime;
- acting for Octopus Investments on over 40 EIS and VCT compliant transactions per year, including obtaining advance assurances from HMRC;
- advising a number of investee companies including Heartlight Systems Limited on how to structure EIS-compliant offers to investors;
- acting for the management team on the sale of a group of companies to a large trade buyer including drafting and negotiating tax warranties and covenant, and providing detailed advice on the effect of the transaction on the client’s company share option plan; and
- setting up a number of EMI option schemes including for a UK-based performance improvement company and an American corporation; advising an American group on its UK company share option plan and delivering an explanatory training session to its UK-based employees.
Having graduated from Downing College, Cambridge University with an MA in Law, Tom trained at Linklaters and qualified into their tax department in 2006. Tom joined Shoosmiths in 2007 and qualified as a Chartered Tax Adviser in 2009, before becoming a partner in 2015. Tom is currently Chair of the Thames Valley branch committee of the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
EducationChartered Tax Adviser - Chartered Institute of Taxation
MA (Law) - Downing College, Cambridge University
© Shoosmiths, 2015
My Open Forums
The WSG Marketing and IT Team has been hard at work for the past few months on our new website... and we're pleased to share it with you today!
We've completely redesigned it so that it's easier to navigate, more functional, mobile-compatible, and—if we say so ourselves—a lot better looking.
Check back soon as we continue to roll out new features and information.