Employment & Labor Blog
- Blog: Labor & Employment InsightsHere We Go Again? DOL Secretary Walsh Discusses Raising Overtime Exemption Salary ThresholdPosted on June 18, 2021 by J. William Manuel and Anne R. YuengertYou may have missed it, but Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh perked up some ears last week when he discussed possibly raising the FLSA salary threshold for certain exempt employees. In testimony before a Congressional committee, Secretary Walsh stated that the current amount, $35,568, is “definitely” too low and hinted that his department may seek...Continue Reading…
- Blog: Labour & Employment Law BlogWhat is the Test for Establishing Discrimination on the Basis of Family
Status?Posted on June 17, 2021 by Jennie Buchanan, Deborah CushingEmployers who are faced with employee requests for accommodation on the basis of family status may find that the response to such requests depends on the province of employment. In a recent decision, United Nurses of Alberta v Alberta Health Services (“United Nurses”), the Alberta Court of Appeal expressly rejected a line of cases from other jurisdictions that impose ...
- Blog: Hunton Immigration and Nationality LawJuly 2021 Visa Bulletin – EB-3 India Continues to Rapidly AdvancePosted on June 17, 2021 by Courtland C. WitherupThe Visa Bulletin is released monthly by the Department of State and is used to determine when a sponsored foreign national can submit the final step of the green card process, or if already pending, when the final step can be adjudicated. Below is a summary of the July Visa Bulletin, including Final Action Dates... Continue Reading
- Blog: Garrigues Labor BlogCan an employer request a negative criminal background certificate to hire a worker in Spain?Posted on June 17, 2021 by Editor1In certain areas of business, it is an essential requirement for employment and to perform a professional activity to provide the employer with a negative criminal background certificate. This is the case, for example, in work with minors and jobs related to private security. However, is there a legal reason to refuse? Is it a […] La entrada Can an employer request a negative criminal background certificate to hire a worker in Spain? apareció primero en Labor and Employment Law - Garrigues.
- Blog: Haynes and Boone BlogsGroup Health Plan Service Contracts Trigger Compensation DisclosuresPosted on June 16, 2021 by Haynes and Boone Benefits GroupAmong the new requirements that are, or soon will be, imposed on employer-sponsored group health plans subject to ERISA (“GHPs”) by the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 (the “CAA”) are compensation disclosure requirements which apply to GHPs and certain of their third-party service providers. Background ERISA contains prohibitions on certain transactions between an employee benefit […] The post Group Health Plan Service Contracts Trigger Compensation Disclosures appeared first on Haynes and Boone Blogs.
- Blog: Waller Law BlogOSHAs new mandatory COVID-19 guidance for healthcare employers and employeesPosted on June 10, 2021 by The new Emergency Temporary Standard that healthcare employers must implement and adhere to in light of COVID-19 is mandatory.