Jim focuses on electric power projects in Southeast Asia.
Jim has had significant involvement with projects in Southeast Asia, including in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, the Philippines and Thailand. His work includes preparation, negotiation, and compliance monitoring with respect to power purchase, fuel supply, construction, financing, operations and maintenance, and associated project arrangements. He has significant experience with mergers and acquisitions. He also has significant experience with hotel and resort development, financing, construction and operation.
- 77-story multi-use hotel, residential, and commercial tower project in Bangkok, Thailand: advised on equity investment, debt financing, project and construction, and acquisition arrangements.
- 2x600 MW supercritical coal-fired power plant in the Philippines: advised on acquisition of a minority interest in the project company.
- 455 MW supercritical coal-fired power plant in Quezon Province, the Philippines: advised on joint venture arrangements, shared facilities, power purchase, engineering, procurement, and construction, and operations and maintenance arrangements.
- 138 MW coal-fired power plant in Cambodia: advised on power purchase, concession, engineering, procurement, and construction, and operations arrangements.
- 63 Megawatt (MW) AC solar photovoltaic power plants in Lop Buri, Thailand: advised on power purchase agreement; construction and supply contract arrangements; and operation and maintenance contracts.
- 100 MW coal-fired power plant in Cambodia: advised on power purchase agreement; implementation agreement; government guarantee; engineering, procurement and construction arrangements; and fuel supply.
- 125 km transmission line and two substation installations in Cambodia: advised on power transmission agreement; implementation agreement; government guarantee; construction contract; and offshore supply arrangements.
- 2 X 610 MW coal-fired power plant in Indonesia: due diligence review for a potential acquisition.
- 460 MW coal-fired power plant in the Philippines: advised on US$100 million domestic subordinated notes issue, including structuring and a consent solicitation to existing senior secured lenders and bondholders.
- IPP solicitation of Thailand’s Ministry of Energy: advised government officials on model documents, the request for proposals, and risk allocations for an independent power producer solicitation in Thailand.
- 460 MW coal-fired Quezon power project in the Philippines: advising as primary project counsel since 2001 on power purchase, coal supply, compliance and governance, and finance matters.
- 741 MW combined-cycle power project in Thailand: advised on construction financing (with ECA tranches and hedging program); and construction issues, including performance issues with GT 26B combined cycle gas turbines.
- Multiple due diligence projects and negotiations of hotel operating agreements, joint venture documentation and financing documentation in Thailand, the Maldives, the Philippines, the United States and elsewhere.
BS, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Geosciences, with honors, 1989