Economic Substance Notification – Deadlines
Afridi & Angell, June 2020
The UAE has introduced Cabinet Resolution 31 of 2019 (as amended) (the Economic Substance Regulations) which apply to UAE onshore and free zone entities that undertake, and earn an income from, any of the Relevant Activities (listed below): Banking Business Insurance Business Investment Fund Management Business Shipping Business Holding Company Business Lease-Finance Business Distribution & Service Centre Business Headquarters Business Intellectual Property Business The Re
Implementation of Abu Dhabi Local Content Program
Afridi & Angell, April 2020
Introduction In late 2019, the Industrial Development Bureau (IDB) of the Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (ADDED) launched the Abu Dhabi Local Content (ADLC) Program in a trial phase. In April of 2020, the IDB announced implementation of the ADLC Program, which will apply to more than 1,244 governmental and semi-governmental tenders worth approximately AED 15 billion...
Emirates Development Bank Appointed to Maintain Register of Finance Leases
Afridi & Angell, October 2019
Introduction Pursuant to UAE Federal Cabinet Resolution No. 56 of 2019, Emirates Development Bank has been appointed to maintain the register of finance lease contracts created pursuant to UAE Federal Law No. 8 of 2018 on Finance Lease (the Finance Lease Law or the Law). Background The Finance Lease Law was promulgated in December 2018. This Law creates a register (the Register) pursuant to which “Finance Lease Contracts” shall be registered...
• The Inward Investment and International Taxation Review, Law Business Research (UAE chapter), 6th edition, 2016
• The Inward Investment and Taxation Review, Law Business Research (UAE chapter), 2015
• The International Capital Markets Review, Law Business Research (UAE chapter), 2015
• Enforcement of Foreign Arbitration Awards in the United Arab Emirates, co-authored with Mark Morris, International Association of Defense Counsel Journal, July 2014
• Abu Dhabi: Legacy of Growth and New Opportunities, The American Lawyer, May 2014