Alex co-leads the firm’s commercial litigation practice group, while also representing clients in toxic tort matters and energy related disputes.
He has tried to verdict personal injury, oil and gas, and commercial matters in jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations. Alex has counseled clients in toxic tort matters involving asbestos, benzene, butadiene, PFAS, PFOA, PFOS and silica. Energy litigation has involved area of mutual interests, covenants running with the land, joint operating agreements, royalty disputes and title disputes. His commercial litigation practice has involved a wide variety of issues including alter ego, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, business theft, fraud, fraudulent transfer of assets, piercing the corporate veil and trade-secret misappropriation. Alex represents clients in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Currently lead plaintiffs’ trial counsel in case involving trade secret misappropriation of “pressure volume temperature” simulator software used by the oil & gas industry to analyze a particular well or field where Defendants allegedly stole source code and other trade secrets and started competing companies.
- Trial counsel for National Oil Company in dispute involving area of mutual interest (AMI) where defended claims involving in excess of $650 million alleged damages based on breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, fraudulent concealment, and civil conspiracy. Obtained summary judgment from federal district court in favor of client on all counts. Affirmed by the US Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit.
- Trial counsel in asbestos related lung cancer wrongful death; case tried to verdict over several weeks and obtained jury finding in favor of client of no liability.
- Trial counsel for company that manufactured asbestos containing insulation where tried case involving multiple plaintiffs that had been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis or pleural plaques. Case tried to verdict after an eight week trial.
- National Counsel representing manufacturer of equipment in asbestos cases.
- Represent client in developing national strategy with respect to emerging issues involving PFAS, PFOA, PFOS and other chemicals.
- Represented oil & gas companies in dispute arising from the sale of 1,500 leases in the Eagle Ford shale for $1.2 billion. Initially retained as appellate counsel and successfully had the appellate court reverse trial court’s unfavorable multimillion dollar judgment against clients, and award attorneys’ fees in favor of clients. Case appealed to Texas Supreme court which confirmed the appellate court’s order. Subsequently, tried issue of attorneys’ fees to trial court where obtained $478,670 award in attorneys’ fees in favor of clients.
- Trial counsel in plaintiff representation of company in suit involving claims for breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and alter ego and piercing the corporate veil; case tried to verdict and client awarded actual and treble damages.
- Represented energy company in arbitration defending them against allegations of underpayment of royalty interests. Plaintiffs originally sought millions and arbitrator awarded less than $100,000.
- Trial counsel for company in federal court litigation involving fraud claims related to international sales transactions. Obtained summary judgment dismissal of case.
- Represented oil company involving title dispute affecting oil & gas interests in West Virginia state court. Obtained summary judgment in favor of client on all counts.
- Represented GOM operator in successful suit to compel arbitration and obtain payment of idle drillship charges and related joint account expenses caused by Federal offshore drilling moratorium.
- Trial counsel in plaintiff representation for energy company in suit involving claims for breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty, business theft and injunctive relief.
- Trial counsel for trucking company in suit alleging tort and property damage; case tried to verdict and obtained jury finding of no liability.
- Represented individual in federal investigation of natural gas traders with respect to alleged attempt to influence natural gas prices.
- Represented individual, who was head of global commodities for international investment banking firm, regarding New York Attorney General's Office and related SEC investigations into year-end Wall Street bonuses by TARP banking recipients.
BBA, Texas A&M University, Marketing, 1991