Emma has an interest in commercial contracts, specialising in franchising and works with franchisor and franchisee clients on a wide range of franchise matters including: drafting franchise agreements and other franchise documents; advising franchisors in relation to their resale process and franchisees in relation to the buying and selling of both franchise businesses and competitor businesses; and advising franchisors in relation to breach/termination issues and disputes.
Recent work highlights include:
- advising a well-known supermarket in relation to the franchise agreement for its convenience store brand;
- advising an estate agency plc in relation to franchise resales;
- advising a multi-million pound franchisee in relation to changes to the franchise agreement proposed by the franchisor;
- advising a European appliance manufacturer on a remote secondment basis across a wide range of commercial matters including: retailer agreements; incentive schemes; call centre arrangements; and all other business as usual contracts;
- advising a retailer on its gift card arrangements including reporting on and marking up third party agreements;
- advising a national society on its website and distribution arrangements including drafting the services agreement in close alignment with its in house legal advisor;
- in a previous role advising on aspects of IP including in relation to trade mark infringement; and
- advising many types of business on their licensing arrangements either in respect of a brand and business format or, for example, in relation to a growing sportswear brand, trade marks to a manufacturer and agency rights. In all cases, agreements were heavily negotiated.
Emma is noted as an Up and Coming lawyer by Chambers & Partners in relation to franchising, is acknowledged in Legal 500 for franchising and by Legal Who’s Who as an expert in franchising. Emma is an active member of the British Franchise Association and regularly writes for the franchise press and gives seminars on franchising.
"She is a good, solid franchise lawyer, highly experienced and commercial," say sources.
BSc Biological Science 2:1 - University of Warwick
Graduate Diploma in Law - College of Law
Legal Practice Course - College of Law