Ty Howard is a partner resident in Bradley’s Nashville and Dallas offices and serves as chair of the firm’s Government Enforcement and Investigations Practice Group. Drawing on 20 years of experience as a state and federal prosecutor and leading defense lawyer, Ty helps clients with white-collar criminal defense, False Claims Act matters, sensitive internal investigation, and high-profile litigation.
His areas of focus include:
- Telehealth and Telemedicine: Ty is a leader in the emerging telehealth industry. He represents clients of all types in criminal and civil enforcement matters involving telehealth issues. He also regularly speaks and writes on telehealth legal and policy issues, including authoring the only telehealth-specific legal blog TyHoward TeleHealth. Physicians, companies, and others call on Ty for guidance on telehealth compliance and in cases involving alleged telemedicine schemes. He represents clients and writes frequently about telehealth enforcement involving DME, compounded drugs, cancer-genomic testing (CGx) and related topics.
- White Collar Defense: As both a prosecutor and a defense lawyer, Ty has focused almost exclusively on white collar matters. He has deep experience in matters involving securities fraud, healthcare fraud, mail and wire fraud, banking crimes, false statements, and public corruption. He has tried nearly 50 trials and navigated hundreds of government investigations involving alleged fraud or white collar violations. He regularly represents clients charged with or being investigated for federal crimes.
- False Claims Act and Healthcare Fraud and Abuse: A large portion of Ty’s practice relates to the healthcare industry. He has represented clients in nearly every corner of the industry, including corporations, individual physicians, physician-owned entities, nurses, and healthcare executives. Healthcare fraud and abuse often involve the False Claims Act and parallel criminal-civil investigations, and clients regularly seek his extensive experience in those areas. He has handled some of the region’s most significant cases involving skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), pharmacies, hospice providers, ophthalmologists and optometrists, orthopedic practices, and primary care providers. Ty also founded and edits Bradley’s annual False Claims Act Year in Review, a leading FCA publication for nearly a decade, and speaks regularly on FCA enforcement issues.
- Securities, finance, and other regulated industries: Ty represents banks, banking executives, brokers, financial institutions, and investment professionals in regulatory matters involving the SEC, FINRA, and related federal and state agencies. He has worked extensively as a prosecutor and defense attorney on anti-money laundering, securities fraud, and associated areas.
- Government Contracting and Construction: Ty regularly advises government contractors to help them navigate government investigations and conduct sensitive internal investigations. Often working closely with Bradley’s team of industry-leading construction lawyers, Ty has represented multiple contractors in investigations by the Department of Defense, various military investigative services, the FBI, and other law-enforcement agencies.
- Anti-Corruption: Ty works with companies of all sizes to ensure their compliance with global anti-corruption laws and regulations. He represents clients facing investigation under the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and similar anti-corruption laws.
Ty joined Bradley after nearly a decade as a federal and state prosecutor, most recently as an assistant U.S. attorney in the White Collar and Economic Crimes division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee. As an AUSA, Ty led investigations and prosecutions of some of Tennessee’s largest fraud cases, first-chaired numerous jury trials, and argued successfully before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. He previously worked as an associate in the litigation departments of two large international firms based in Philadelphia.
- Tennessee, 2007
- Pennsylvania, 2000
- Texas, 2020
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2000, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, M.P.A., 1997
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 1994, with distinction