Christopher Slottee has over 15 years of experience handling complex commercial, corporate, and litigation matters, specifically working with Alaska native corporations, Alaska native corporation settlement trusts, and tribal governments. Christopher’s previous experience as vice president and general counsel for an Alaska native corporation gives him an invaluable understanding of the inner workings of Alaska native corporations and the unique challenges they face. He is well versed in issues of corporate governance, legal and risk management, government contracting, bid protests, corporate transactions, and mergers and acquisitions.
Christopher provides guidance related to the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) small business programs, including SBA’s Section 8(a) and HUBZone Business Development Programs. Christopher has advised clients regarding 8(a) and small business joint ventures, regulatory compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations, requests for equitable adjustment and claims, and provided strategic advice regarding utilization of the SBA’s small business programs. He also advises Alaska native corporations and tribal entities regarding federal funding opportunities and grant compliance, including CARES Act and American Rescue Plan Act compliance issues.
Christopher has extensive experience providing advice regarding creating, managing, and leveraging the unique characteristics of Alaska native corporation settlement trusts.
- Alaska State Courts
- Alaska Federal Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Courts
- University of Utah, Bachelor of Science degree, Political Science and Government (1998)
- Lewis & Clark Law School, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude (2001)
Areas of Practice
- Business and Corporate
- Environmental Regulation and Litigation
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Native American & Alaska Native Law
Alaska Native Corporations and Native American law
- Represented several ANCs in the creation of new Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) settlement trusts and substantive amendments to existing ANCSA settlement trusts.
- Represented and assisted an ANC in the contribution of significant amounts of surface estate to an ANCSA settlement trust.
- Advised a client on the creation, management, and use of a captive insurer as part of its risk management and insurance program, resulting in significant savings on insurance costs.
- Assisted in developing and promoting state and federal legislation beneficial to ANCs, including serving a material role in drafting and advocating for the ANC settlement trust tax legislation passed in 2017.
- Advised several ANCs and non-profit entities regarding eligible use of CARES Act funds and leveraging of federal funding opportunities, including ARPA funds provided to tribal entities.
- Advised Alaska native corporations and their subsidiaries on compliance with Federal Acquisition Regulations and federal government contractor vaccine mandate.
Business and corporate
- Represented a seller in the multi-million dollar sale of a hospitality business.
- Represented a seller in the multi-million dollar sale of road contractor.
- Represented a seller in the drafting and negotiation of submarine fiber optic cable for $20 million.
- Represented a guarantor in a complex financing arrangement involving letters of credit and pledges of the guarantor’s assets for the construction of a $20 million assisted living facility.
- Represented an oil field services company on a multimillion-dollar acquisition of a competitor’s assets on the North Slope.
- Represented a purchaser in the multimillion-dollar acquisition of a professional engineering firm and a government contracting entity.
- Represented an owner on the construction and financing of multiple microwave facilities in remote Alaska.
Litigation and dispute resolution
- Represented a municipal government in personal injury litigation involving 1983 claims, sovereign immunity, and tribal immunity.
- Represented a municipal government in complex litigation involving issues of separation of powers, inverse condemnation, and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing arising out of construction of deep-water dock and legislative changes to the municipal government’s forest management plan.
- Represented a municipal government in complex litigation with a landowner over obligations arising out of a municipal landfill and sale of methane gas.
- Represented a plaintiff in a sexual abuse case against an assisted living home that resulted in the Alaska Supreme Court adopting the aided-in-agency theory of vicarious liability in Alaska.
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of claims against a municipal government on summary judgment in an inverse condemnation case through application of the statute of repose.
- Successfully obtained a reversal of the trial court on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit of an adverse summary judgment decision in a Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) case.
- Successfully represented an investor in a week-long Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration case against a broker-dealer based on a misrepresentation claim.
- Christopher Slottee |March 2021
- General Services Administration Holding a Tribal Consultation at Upcoming 2023 Reservation Economic Summit
- FTC Announced New Deadline for Commentary on Proposed Rule Barring Non-Competes
- Case Challenging Political Classification of Natives Dismissed
- Beginning March 3, 2023: Important Changes to Management of SAM.Gov Registrations
- DOD, GSA, and NASA Update FAR to Provide for Accelerated Payments to Small Businesses and to Conform to SBA Regulations
- Update: FTC Publishes Proposed Rule Barring Non-Compete Agreements
- Update on Challenge to the Constitutionality of the SBA 8(a) Program
- Legal Challenge To Federal Contractor Minimum Wage Increase Rejected
- FTC Proposes Regulations Barring Non-Compete Agreements
- SBA Proposed Rule Would Permit Contractors to Receive Subcontracting Credit at Any Tier
- Agencies Issue Notice of Proposed Changes to FARs Impacting 8(a) Entities
- New Federal Acquisition Regulation: Effective Communication Between Government and Industry
- Supplemental Briefing Filed in Bruckner Case
- Further Briefing Requested Regarding Scope of Bruckner’s Challenge
- DOD Issues Final Rule on SBA Joint Venture Eligibility
- Federal Proposals for Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- SBA Adjusts Standards and Thresholds for EDWOSB and 8(a) Business Development Programs
- Indian Child Welfare Act Goes Before Supreme Court
- DoD Issues Final Rule on Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement
- Safer Federal Workforce Task Force Issues New Statement on Vaccine Mandate
- SBA Issues Final Rule on 2022 NAICS Code Update
- White House Releases National Strategy for the Arctic Region
- SBA Decides to Not Impose a Community Benefit Requirement On Native-Owned Entities
- Minimum Wage Increase for Federal Government Contractors Due to Inflation
- Federal Contractors: OFCCP Issues October 19, 2022 Deadline for Objections on EEO-1 Reports
- DOD Deviation for Delays in SAM.gov Registrations
- SBA’s Proposed Revisions to 8(a) Regulations
- Eleventh Circuit Declares Federal Contractor COVID-19 Mandate Beyond President’s Authority
- SBA Proposes Rules that Could Have Significant Impact on ANCs
- New Regulation Proposal Would Require Project Labor Agreements for Federal Construction Projects
- Greater Availability for Tribes and Native Corporations to Join Environmental Program
- OP-ED: New Federal Rule Opens Door of Opportunity For Small Contractors
- Bruckner Position for Preliminary Injunction
- New Small Business Tools from the National Defense Authorization Act
- Proposed Rule on Non-Displacement of Employees Under Service Contracts
- Lawsuit Filed Challenging Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act’s Preference for Disadvantaged Government Contractors
- Application and Deadline for ANC Single Audit Act
- Department of Defense Issued Memo Regarding Inflation
- Project Labor Agreements on Large Scale Federal Construction Contracts
- Injunction Sought Against Biden’s Increased Federal Contractor Minimum Wage Order
- Election Law Restriction for ANCs to Remember
- Challenge to Executive Branch Vaccine Mandate Dismissed
- Oertwich Decision and Potential Implications for Tribal Sovereign Immunity
- Borer Decision and Potential Impacts to ANCs
- CRFs Are Not Taxable to Alaska Native Corporations or Their Shareholders
- Oral Argument on Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate and Potential Impact of Supreme Court Decisions
- SBA Doubles Down with Size Appeal
- Treasury Updated Compliance Guidance for the ARP State and Local Recovery Fund
- SBA Provides Guidance on Impact of New NAICS Codes on Size Standards
- The Lender’s Role in the PPP Loan Review Process
- What to Know About PPP Appeals and Next Steps (updated 02/24/2022)
- Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act Resources
- Oral Argument Set for April 8 on Appeal of Injunction against Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate
- Tribal and Alaska Native Corporations Consultation Policy Update for SBA
- Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act Brings Opportunity for ANCs and their Partners
- Desk Review Procedures for Coronavirus Relief Fund
- DHHS Vaccine Mandate Decision
- Treasury Issues Final Rule on Use of ARPA State, Local and Tribal Funds
- OSHA Updates ETS FAQs on Usage of Over-the-Counter COVID-19 Tests
- The Supreme Court Ruled to Stay the OSHA ETS
- End of Transition Period for SBA Size Standard Calculation
- Upcoming Events and Deadlines for OSHA Large Employer ETS
- Eligible Uses of CARES Act Funds for Compliance and Management Expenses in 2022
- Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate Update: Implementation Likely Delayed
- OSHA Moves to Implement Large Employer ETS by January 10, 2022, After Sixth Circuit Lifts Stay
- Treasury Update Regarding Guidelines on Use of CARES Act Funds
- Safer Federal Workforce Publishes Update Regarding Court Injunctions Against Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate
- House Passes Extension to Use of CARES Act Funds, Goes to Senate for Consideration
- Nationwide Injunction Against Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate
- District Court Issues Stay of Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate in Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee
- President Biden Reinstates a Version of the Nondisplacement of Qualified Workers Under Service Contracts Executive Order
- Implementation of OSHA’s 11/5/2021 Emergency Temporary Standard Stayed
- Summary of New Guidance on COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
- OSHA Issues Emergency Temporary Standard for COVID-19 Vaccinations and Testing
- Deviation: Ensuring Adequate COVID-19 Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors
- Administration Actions Regarding COVID-19 Protocols for Federal Contractors and Large Employers
- Asking for Forgiveness: Further Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Guidance (Updated 08/12/2021)
- First Draw PPP Loans $2 Million and Up and the PPP Necessity Questionnaires
- First Draw Loans at or Over $2 million—SBA Discontinues Use of Necessity Questionnaires and What Is Next
- What to Know about the Paycheck Protection Program, Round Two – First Draw PPP Loans (Updated 5/5/2021)
- 10 Things to Know about Second Draw PPP Loans as Updated for the Economic Aid Act and the ARP Act (Updated 5/5/2021)
- PPP Ineligibility Update: Businesses Ineligible for First Draw and Second Draw PPP Loans (Updated 4/8/2021)
- Why You May Want to Wait to File for PPP Loan Forgiveness and Other Tips (Updated 3/25/2021)
- American Rescue Plan Act: Changes to Paycheck Protection Program, Certain Tax and ERISA Provisions, and Other Small Business Relief
- PPP: Changes by the Biden-Harris Administration
- Updated Key Considerations for PPP Documentation under the Economic Aid Act
- Initial Takeaways and Agency Guidance for the Latest PPP Updates
- Grounds for SBA Review, the SBA Loan Review Process, and Borrower Items
- Highlights of PPP Loan Items in the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Venues Act and 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Updated 01/06/2021)
- Ten Things to Know About the PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications (Updated 12/30/2020)
- A Guide to the SBA PPP Loan Forgiveness Review Process (Updated 11/18/2020)
- Main Street Lending Program Overview for Nonprofits and For-Profit Businesses (updated 11/5/2020)
- Tribal Entities and the Main Street Lending Program
- Paycheck Protection Program Portal
- Impacts of H.R. 6201 on Tribal Governments
- COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate Compliance for Federal Contractors in the Real Estate and Construction Industry
- CARES Act and Other COVID funding for Alaska Natives
- Cares Act, Federal Mandates, & Carbon Credits
- Emerging Environmental Law Topics in the New Administration
- DOL Audits - What to Expect & How to Limit Your Exposure
- Teaming & Joint Ventures
- American Rescue Plan Act Tribal Funding Discussion
Meet our Firms and Professionals
WSG’s member firms include legal, investment banking and accounting experts across industries and on a global scale. We invite you to meet our member firms and professionals.