David Balfour is a Shareholder in the Firm’s San Diego office, and a member of the Healthcare practice group. Mr. Balfour brings two decades of experience to his practice, representing clients in the healthcare sector on a wide range of issues including medical staff peer review proceedings, licensing proceedings, writ proceedings, State and Federal Court civil litigation, and related appellate proceedings. He represents hospitals, health systems, medical staffs, medical groups, and individual healthcare providers regarding litigation risks and best practices to avoid litigation exposure.
Additionally, Mr. Balfour has represented numerous healthcare and ancillary care professionals before the various licensing boards of the State of California, including the Medical Board of California, the Board of Psychology, the Board of Behavioral Sciences, the Dental Board, the Board of Registered Nursing, the Pharmacy Board, and others. He has also represented physicians in connection with delistment proceedings by health insurers.
Mr. Balfour has an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and he has also been named as one of the “Top Lawyers in San Diego” by San Diego Magazine from 2013-2020.
- Hastings College of the Law
- Yale University
Areas of Practice
- Dispute Resolution
- Health Care Law
- Represented Medical Staff of medical center in interactions with senior physician with competency concerns leading to the physician’s graceful retirement from practice.
- Defended hospital in litigation brought by physician whose medical staff privileges were terminated due to failure to comply with board certification requirements, resulting in physician’s dismissal of lawsuit after filing of anti-SLAPP motion.
- Represented chiropractor, owner of more than 30 chiropractic clinics, in prosecution by the Chiropractic Board for violation of corporate practice of chiropractic medicine allegations. Hearing before administrative law judge resulted in complete dismissal of all charges, and administrative law judge’s decision adopted as the order of the board.
- Defended physician in investigation and subsequent accusation by Medical Board of California following his arrest and conviction for DUI with aggravating circumstances, resulting in a complete dismissal of accusation following administrative hearing.
- Represented pain management physician in investigation by the Medical Board of California relating to death of patient from opioid use and the subsequent closing of file/investigation without further action.
- How Rules are Changing for California Physicians Assistants
- How to Provide Emergency Credentialing and Privileging for Healthcare Staff to Prepare for Surge in COVID-19 Patients
- Long Shadow of Kibler to be Lengthened Further as California Supreme Court Addresses Application of Anti-SLAPP Statute in Peer Review
- Procedures Unique to Special Writ Proceedings Regarding Actions Involving the Medical Board of California
Meet our Firms and Professionals
WSG’s member firms include legal, investment banking and accounting experts across industries and on a global scale. We invite you to meet our member firms and professionals.