Jeff Davis, co-chair of the firm's Oil and Gas Law team, is a recognized trial lawyer who represents energy sector companies in complex oil and gas litigation involving catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, surface and downhole tool incidents, and royalty and mineral interest disputes. Jeff has significant experience in both the legal and technical issues related to oil and gas exploration. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in state and federal courts all across Texas and Oklahoma.
In addition to his oilfield experience, Jeff represents clients in a variety of commercial and construction litigation matters, including contractual disputes, business torts, products liability, construction, warranty, real estate, and trade secret litigation.
Jeff’s practice has also included representing the Houston Astros, including a case that reaffirmed the limited duty rule (aka the “Baseball Rule”) applicable to stadium owners and the duties owed to patrons at sporting events (see Martinez v. Houston McLane Company, LLC d/b/a Houston Astros Baseball Club). Jeff also successfully defended the Detroit Tigers in a case filed by a former pitcher that was appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court (see Brocail v. Detroit Tigers, Inc.).
Jeff is an elected member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates and the International Association of Defense Counsel. Jeff is also a Fellow in the Trial Lawyer Honorary Society of the Litigation Counsel of America.
- Texas, 1992
- Oklahoma, 2012
- North Dakota, 2018
- New Mexico, 2023
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States Federal Court, Western District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1992, Associate Editor, Houston Law Review; Houston Law Center Honor Court
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1989
Areas of Practice
- Oil and Gas Law