Peter Scaff is an experienced commercial litigator whose practice focuses on the oil and gas industry. He co-chairs the firm’s Oil and Gas Law team.
Peter has litigated a variety of energy industry disputes, including cases concerning joint operations, areas of mutual interest, lease acquisition, misappropriation and trade secrets, seismic licensing, supply chain, construction and manufacturing. He also has significant experience handling cases related to oilfield operations, downhole failures and well control events. Notably, Peter served as national counsel to a major oilfield service company in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill, serving as lead counsel during related governmental investigations and hearings. Peter has litigated energy disputes in courthouses across Texas, as well as in Oklahoma, Louisiana and North Dakota.
Although he has litigated cases involving some of the largest energy companies in the world and damage claims involving billions of dollars, Peter also enjoys assisting entrepreneurs and mid-size companies with their legal needs. He still enjoys advising clients on their more routine matters, including drafting and negotiating master service agreements and terms and conditions. His clients value his deep understanding of their business operations, as well as his strategic, practical approach to litigation.
In addition to energy industry matters, Peter has a diverse commercial litigation practice, routinely handling matters involving real estate, construction, franchising, partnership litigation, misappropriation, and fiduciary litigation. He also has prosecuted a number of civil fraud and investment scheme cases, many of which involved parallel criminal proceedings.
- Texas, 2000
- Colorado, 2018
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2000, magna cum laude; Articles Editor, Houston Law Review; Order of the Coif; Order of the Barons
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 1997, with honors
Areas of Practice
- Oil and Gas Law