Ralph Hoppin has over 25 years of experience working with technology clients to prepare and prosecute U.S. and international patent applications. His advanced technical education allows him to advise on patents for a variety of technologies, including computer hardware and software, computer networks, cell phone networks, application performance management, semiconductor fabrication and operation, and consumer electronics. Ralph believes in working patiently to understand clients’ inventions in view of the state of the art to best advise on the possible scope of patent protection.
Before joining Schwabe, Ralph worked in Connecticut, New York, and California at various patent boutique firms, as well as a general practice firm. His technical expertise spans semiconductor memory hardware, fabrication and operation, including 2D and 3D NAND memory, virtual reality and 3D cameras, and wrist-worn exercise monitoring devices.
Prior to law school, Ralph worked as a senior analytical engineer analyzing aircraft engine performance data and developing control logic and computer simulations. After law school, he followed his J.D. with a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering.
- California State Courts
- Connecticut State Courts
- New York State Courts
- United States District Court, Northern District of California and District of Connecticut
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- University of Southern California, Bachelor of Science degree, Aerospace Engineering, magna cum laude (1985)
- University of Connecticut, Masters of Science degree, Electrical Engineering (1996)
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, with honors (1994)
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- IP Litigation
- Advised a semiconductor memory client in evaluating invention disclosures for patenting, advising on the potential scope of protection and preparing and prosecuting numerous patent applications.
- Performed a comprehensive prior art search for a manufacturer of consumer electronics to knock out a competitor’s potential infringement claim.
- Obtained patents for enhancing televised programming of popular sporting events.
- Assisted clients in developing patentable ideas in invention harvesting sessions.
- Fresh From the Bench Library
Meet our Firms and Professionals
WSG’s member firms include legal, investment banking and accounting experts across industries and on a global scale. We invite you to meet our member firms and professionals.