New Washington Law Will Help Grow State’s Green Hydrogen Economy
- Authorizes public utility districts to produce, sell, and own and operate pipelines to supply green electrolytic hydrogen.
- Authorizes municipalities to construct, acquire, and operate facilities for the purpose of furnishing green electrolytic hydrogen and renewable hydrogen.
- Creates an Office of Renewable Fuels within the Washington State Department of Commerce to advance the production and use of fuels made from renewable resources.
- Extends sales-and-use and leasehold-excise tax exemptions for green electrolytic hydrogen to exemptions already provided to renewable hydrogen.
- Authorizes the director of the state Department of Commerce to support an application by a public-private partnership entity for funding to develop a regional clean hydrogen hub.
While green hydrogen is currently too expensive to compete against conventional sources of hydrogen and other fuels, costs to develop green hydrogen are expected to fall in the coming years and the green hydrogen market is rapidly growing. With SB 5910, the Washington legislature positions the state to be a leader in green hydrogen development and creates new opportunities to support this industry.
This article summarizes aspects of the law and does not constitute legal advice. For legal advice for your situation, you should contact an attorney.
Link to article