Paternity Leave for Employees and Public Servants (Panama)
On May 24, 2017, Act 27 of May 23rd, 2017 was published in the Official Gazette No. 28285-B of May 24th, 2017, which establishes the Paternity Leave, applicable both to employees of private sector, as well as to public servants, effective since May 25th, 2017.
· Paternity leave applies to male employees and public servants, whose wife or cohabiting partner, in conditions of singularity and stability, is in a pregnant state.
· In order to qualify for paternity leave, the employee must inform the employer, one week in advance, of the probable date of birth.
· The paternity leave will be for a term of three (3) business days, which will be counted as an effective working time, during which period the employee benefited with the license will not be able to work for another employer or for himself.
· The leave will start from the date of birth of the son or daughter, meaning that the employee cannot legally postpone the enjoyment of that leave.
· The employee is obliged to submit to his employer the birth certificate certifying him as the father of the child.
(1) Lupica, C. (2016). Licencias de paternidad y permisos parentales en América Latina y el Caribe. Herramientas indispensables para propiciar la mayor participación de los padres en el cuidado de los hijos e hijas. Masculinities and Social Change,5(3),295-320. doi: 10.17583/MCS.2016.2083.
Link to article
- Current trends in court practice on discrimination claims in Russia
- Hurricane Harvey: Employer Considerations in Office Closures and Reopenings
- Dismissal of 62-year old teacher did not constitute discrimination
- Special Edition Benefits Alert: Hurricane Harvey
- Morgan & Morgan advised General Electric in the worldwide sale of its water treatment and management business
- Morgan & Morgan advised Banco Inbursa in the purchase and assignment of Credits Master Agreement for a value of US$415 millions
- Morgan & Morgan advised the Republic of Panama, Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Inc. and Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC in a tender offer of U.S. Global Bonds
WSG Member: Please login to add your comment.