- Blog: Privacy and Information Security Law BlogFTC Announces Settlement Over Alleged Consent Order ViolationPosted on March 22, 2017 by Hunton & Williams LLPOn March 17, 2017, the Federal Trade Commission announced that Upromise, Inc., agreed to pay 500,000 dollars to settle allegations that it violated the terms of a 2012 consent order that required Upromise to provide notice to consumers regarding its data collection and use practices, and obtain third-party audits.… Continue Reading
- Blog: MMM Tech Law & Business ReportSE Tech Podcast Ep. 17 – uBack with Melissa BodfordPosted on March 21, 2017 by MMMTechLawWe speak with Melissa Bodford from uBack, a mobile fundraising app & employee giving tool. uBack has offices in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Chicago. www.ubackforgood.com/index.html
- Blog: Western Canada Business LitigationCourt of Appeal upholds mortgage exit fee in face of Interest Act challengePosted on March 17, 2017 by <a href=''>Peter Roberts</a>Section 8 of the Interest Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. I-15, prohibits any “fine, penalty or rate of interest . . . that has the effect of increasing the charge on the arrears beyond the rate of interest payable on principal money not in arrears.” Relying on this provision, borrowers often challenge fees and charges that... Continue Reading
- Blog: Minter Ellison Technology, Media and IP BlogPerspectives on Cyber Risk 2017Posted on March 17, 2017 by We are delighted to announce the publication of our second annual cyber security survey report, Perspectives on Cyber Risk 2017. The 12 months since the publication of our last report has seen some of the most devastating cyber incidents yet. No organisation type or industry has been spared. From finance, retail, hospitality and healthcare, to mining and resources, utilities, professional services and education – it's clear that everyone is fair game in cyberspace. In the context of an increasingly stringent regulatory landscape, and the ever increasing interconnection of organis...
- Blog: Panama - International Business & Financial CenterU.S. Emerging as ‘Leading’ Tax, Secrecy Haven, EU Report SaysPosted on March 14, 2017 by adegraciaFrom International Tax Trust Bloomberg BNA’s Premier International Tax offering for the news and guidance to navigate the complex tax treaty networks and business regulations. By Joe Kirwin March 8th, 2017 The U.S. is emerging as a “leading tax and secrecy haven for rich foreigners” because of its resistance to global tax disclosure standards and the array of tax-free facilities [...]
- Blog: Global Capital Markets LitigationAppellate Decision on Loss Causation Is a Warning to RMBS Fraud PlaintiffsPosted on March 9, 2017 by Alexandra DrozInvestment advisor TCW Asset Management Company (“TCW”) scored a major victory last week when an appellate court dismissed a $128 million RMBS fraud suit that was filed against it by two Australian-based Cayman Island hedge funds: Basis Pac-Rim Opportunity Fund (Master) and Basis Yield Alpha Fund (Master) (together, “Basis”). Basis sued TCW for alleged fraud … Continue Reading