Heather is a senior practitioner in the areas of banking and insolvency law, with an emphasis on large-scale insolvencies, restructurings and corporate work-outs with a particular focus on real estate insolvencies. She routinely represents institutional lenders, including the Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada, Trustees in Bankruptcy and Receivers.
Heather has also had significant experience representing and advising companies in the process of restructuring under insolvency legislation. She is the Past Chair of the B.C. Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association and the current Treasurer of the National Insolvency Section and has published numerous papers and articles on insolvency topics.
Recognition and Ranking
* Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
* Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: consistently recognized as a Leading Practitioner for insolvency & financial restructuring
* Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for insolvency & financial restructuring
Heather has represented:
* Bank of Montreal in the receivership of Pointe of View Developments Ltd., a real estate development project in Squamish, BC
* A&E Television during the CanWest Companies Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA")
* Bank of Montreal in the receivership of Holman Lang Vineyards
* The Bowra Group Inc. as Receiver-Managers regarding various real estate development projects including "Essencia Verde", "King's Legacy", "The Mountaineer", "The Sophia", "Amadeo", "Riverbend", "Garden City Richmond" and "Chandler Homer Street"
* The Cliffs Over Maple Bay Ltd. during its CCAA restructuring concerning a residential development and PGA golf course
* Edwards & Associating Logging Ltd. during its CCAA restructuring
* K&D Logging Ltd. in its bid as a creditor company to purchase certain assets of Pope & Talbot Ltd., during P&T's filing for protection under the CCAA and subsequent ongoing bankruptcy
* Western Canadian Coal Corp. as purchaser of the assets of Pine Valley Mining Corporation during its restructuring under the CCAA
* United Properties Limited during its restructuring under the CCAA
* T-Mar Industries Ltd. who completed a successful restructuring under the CCAA
* PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., in its capacity as Judicial Trustee of Eron Mortgage Corporation
* PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., in its capacity as Monitor in the CCAA proceedings commenced by Global Light Communications Inc.
* Campbell, Saunders Ltd. in its capacity as Judicial Trustee of Strategic Concepts Investment Trustee
* Campbell, Saunders Ltd. as Receiver of Drury Management Pty Ltd., on the appointment of the Australian Securities Commission
* Canadian Bar Association, National Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Restructuring Section, Treasurer
* Canadian Bar Association, Insolvency Sub-section, British Columbia Branch, Chair
* Canadian Bar Association, Provincial and National Executive, Member
* Canadian Commercial Insolvency Reporter, Co-Editor
Heather is a contributing author for the Advocate, Canadian Bar Review, Pacific Business & Law Institute and the Insolvency Reporter on various insolvency and bankruptcy topics.
"Real Estate Development Insolvencies, a British Columbia Perspective", co-authored with David P. Bowra (March 24, 2010)
"The Peoples Decision - Two Years Later: Where Are We At And What Have We Learned?" (October 31, 2006)
"Top Ten Issues Facing Insolvency Practitioners Across the Country" (October 15, 2005)
Lecturer - University of British Columbia Sauder School of Business, MBA course on Financial Restructuring and Bankruptcy, "Corporate Restructuring, A Canadian Perspective" Vancouver, BC (September 28, 2010)
University of British Columbia's National Centre for Business Law 7th Annual Review of Insolvency Law Conference, "Real Estate Development Insolvencies, a British Columbia Perspective", Kelowna, BC (February 5, 2010)
Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference on Minimizing Recovery in a Challenging Economy, "Finding Maximum Recovery from Distressed Real Estate", The Canadian Institute (September 16-17, 2009), Speaker
Practical Tips for Tough Economic Times Seminar, "Sealing the Deal: Things to Consider when Contracting with Financially Distressed Companies", Vancouver, BC (May 20, 2009), Speaker
Canadian Bar Association National Pan-Canadian Insolvency Conference (2008), Co-Chair
Commercial Insolvency and Restructuring Conference, INSIGHT (November 2008), Faculty
Conference faculty of Canadian Institute Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Convention, Faulty of Pacific Business Law Institute on Trusts, Co-Chair
British Columbia (1985)
University of British Columbia (B.A., 1981; LL.B., 1984).