Heather is a senior practitioner in the areas of banking and insolvency law, with an emphasis on large-scale insolvencies, restructurings and corporate work-outs with a particular focus on real estate insolvencies. She routinely represents institutional lenders, including the Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada, Trustees in Bankruptcy and Receivers.
Heather has also had significant experience representing and advising companies in the process of restructuring under insolvency legislation. She is the Past Chair of the B.C. Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association and the current Treasurer of the National Insolvency Section and has published numerous papers and articles on insolvency topics.
Recognition and Ranking
* Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for insolvency & financial restructuring
* Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012: consistently recognized as a Leading Practitioner for insolvency & financial restructuring
* Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
Heather has represented:
* Aviva Canada Inc. regarding the New Home Warranty Coverage on Millennium Southeast False Creek Properties Ltd.
* Bank of Montreal in the receivership of Pointe of View Developments Ltd., a real estate development project in Squamish, BC
* A&E Television during the CanWest Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (“CCAA”)
* Bank of Montreal in the receivership of Holman Lang Vineyards
* The Bowra Group Inc. as Receiver-Managers regarding various real estate development projects including “Essencia Verde”, “King’s Legacy”, “The Mountaineer”, “The Sophia”, “Amadeo”, “Riverbend”, “Garden City Richmond” and “Chandler Homer Street”
* The Cliffs Over Maple Bay Ltd. during its CCAA restructuring concerning a residential development and PGA golf course
* Edwards & Associating Logging Ltd. during its CCAA restructuring
* K&D Logging Ltd. in its bid as a creditor company to purchase certain assets of Pope & Talbot Ltd., during P&T’s filing for protection under the CCAA and subsequent ongoing bankruptcy
* Western Canadian Coal Corp. as purchaser of the assets of Pine Valley Mining Corporation during its restructuring under the CCAA
* United Properties Limited during its restructuring under the CCAA
* T-Mar Industries Ltd. who completed a successful restructuring under the CCAA
* PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., in its capacity as Judicial Trustee of Eron Mortgage Corporation
* PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., in its capacity as Monitor in the CCAA proceedings commenced by Global Light Communications Inc.
* Campbell, Saunders Ltd. in its capacity as Judicial Trustee of Strategic Concepts Investment Trustee
* Campbell, Saunders Ltd. as Receiver of Drury Management Pty Ltd., on the appointment of the Australian Securities Commission
Canadian Bar Association, National Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Restructuring Section, Vice Chair
Canadian Bar Association, National Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Restructuring Section, Former Treasurer
Canadian Bar Association, Insolvency Sub-section, British Columbia Branch, Past Chair
Canadian Bar Association, Provincial and National Executive, Member
Canadian Commercial Insolvency Reporter, Co-Editor
Heather is a contributing author for the Advocate, Canadian Bar Review, Pacific Business & Law Institute and the Insolvency Reporter on various insolvency and bankruptcy topics.
"Creditors' Issues: Forbearance Agreements and Settlement Agreements" (February 22, 2011), Co-Author
"Real Estate Development Insolvencies, a British Columbia Perspective", co-authored with David P. Bowra (March 24, 2010)
"Secrets of Chambers", The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (February 14, 2013), Lecturer
"Creditors’ Issues: Forbearance Agreements and Settlement Agreements", Bankruptcy & Insolvency Basics for Lawyers Course, The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (February 22, 2011), Lecturer
“Corporate Restructuring, A Canadian Perspective”, MBA course on Financial Restructuring and Bankruptcy, University of British Columbia Sauder School of Business, Vancouver, BC (September 28, 2010), Lecturer
British Columbia (1985)
University of British Columbia (B.A., 1981; LL.B., 1984).