In doing this I advise on environment and planning approvals (both State and Federal), water licence, compulsory acquisitions, native title agreements and mining laws. I do front and back end work.
Having worked as both an engineer and lawyer, and both for Government and in private practice, I provide legal advice with a strong practical and commercial focus.
- Advise South32, Shenhua, Yancoal and Rio Tinto in respect of environmental and planning matters for their NSW operations. This has included all advice on obtaining approval for the Bulli Seam Project, Watermark Coal Project and the Warkworth Continuation Project at both a State and Federal level
- Advised on all environment and planning approvals for Port Waratah Coal Services fourth Coal Terminal in Newcastle which was recently approved
- Advised on the environment and planning aspects of the Port Botany transaction, including legislative review, consideration of environmental and planning controls and amendments to legislation and planning instruments. I provided advice on managing risk relating to environment and maritime issues such as contamination and pollution. At the time this was the largest and most complex undertaking of its kind in Australia
- Advised Roads and Maritime Services in enforcement proceedings in the NSW Supreme Court against a local council that refused to make a substantial area of open space land available for the New M5 midway tunnelling compound contrary to trust arrangements applying to the land. Judgment was in favour of RMS. The court held that the local council had an obligation to make all or part of the land available, at no cost, to RMS when required for road or ancillary purposes in perpetuity without the need to initiate the compulsory acquisition process
LLB (Honours), Dip Legal Practice B Civil and Environmental Engineering (Honours)
Areas of Practice
- Environment and planning
- Energy & Resources Update: August 2013, 06 August 2013
- Minter Ellison Alert | Water trigger included in Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act, 28 June 2013
- Alert - Bill to repeal Part 3A before NSW Parliament, 17 June 2011
- The evolution of subsidence management in NSW, 08 December 2009
Meet our Firms and Professionals
WSG’s member firms include legal, investment banking and accounting experts across industries and on a global scale. We invite you to meet our member firms and professionals.