Our Labor and Employment team has extensive experience helping our clients resolve disputes both in and out of the courtroom. We are proud to work with a large and diverse group of local, regional, and national clients in a variety of industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, mining, media, transportation, restaurant and food services, education, temporary and permanent staffing, and many others.
Anne Yuengert works with clients to manage their employees, including conducting workplace investigations of harassment or theft, training employees and supervisors, consulting on reductions in force and severance agreements, drafting employment agreements (including enforceable noncompetes) and handbooks, assessing reasonable accommodations for disabilities, and working through issues surrounding FMLA and USERRA leave. When preventive measures are not enough, she handles EEOC charges, OFCCP and DOL complaints and investigations, and has handled cases before arbitrators, administrative law judges and federal and state court judges. She has tried more than 30 cases to verdict.
Anne also represents school boards in any and all aspects of their operations, including litigating student disciplinary matters before the school boards and juvenile courts, handling teacher nonrenewal and contract terminations under the Alabama Students First Act, special education IEP issues and due process hearings, as well as anything else a board might need.
Finally, Anne helps businesses deal with ADA accessibility issues. These typically arise when a business gets a letter from someone (often a lawyer) who claims the company’s parking lot or public restroom is not accessible to a person with a disability. Most recently that work included allegations that a client’s website was not accessible to the visually impaired. Anne defended the claims and helped make sure the website was accessible.
- Alabama, 1989
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1989, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Steinheimer Commercial Law Award
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1984
Areas of Practice
- Labor and Employment
Anne represents all kinds of employers in a variety of industries, including healthcare (both hospital-based and individual physician practices), school boards, financial services, computer software, heavy industry, and government contractors. Her recent experience includes:
- Obtaining summary judgment on a former employee’s claim that her healthcare employer terminated her because of her race and sex
- Litigating a former teacher’s state court breach of contract lawsuit against the school board, including claims of fraud, defamation and tortious interference
- Working with client on WARN Act compliance when shutting down a plant
- Negotiating early resolutions of former employees’ claims of misclassification under the wage and hour laws, thereby avoiding litigation
- Representing clients in disability access matters, including a recent Department of Justice investigation
- Defeating class certification in lawsuit filed against school board and former board members alleging that former teacher molested students
- Representing home healthcare provider in lawsuit challenging exempt status of home companions under recent revision of DOL regulations
- Anne Yuengert |June 2021
- Anne Yuengert |June 2021
Sweatpants in the Workplace? Dress Code Considerations When Returning to the Office During a PandemicBy Anne Yuengert |October 2020
Meet our Firms and Professionals
WSG’s member firms include legal, investment banking and accounting experts across industries and on a global scale. We invite you to meet our member firms and professionals.